Home- usually such a comforting word. But for me, in the past few years "home" has been a confusing word. Since I can remember, home was my parent's house in Lithia, Florida. And then in May 2009, home changed when I married my husband and moved to his house in Duette. This past January we packed up our home to prepare for the mission field, and now joke that our car is our home. A very common question we get asked on the road is "Where is home?" I've started just saying "Florida," and then explain what part I grew up in. But then my mind begins to think, soon, my home will be in Thailand. Or will it? Where is home?
When we packed up our house to leave for deputation it was a very emotional time for me. This was the house we lived in our first years of marriage! We had so many memories in that place, and no matter when we might go back, it will never be the same! My parents have talked for years about moving out of my childhood house. And this is quite emotional for me, too. We have so many memories in that house and as time goes by, it can never go back to the way it once was.
I struggle with wanting things in life to "freeze". If nothing ever changed I would feel less anxiety and always be confident in what was going to happen next, and moving causes me to stir up whatever frozen picture I have in my mind titled "Home" and create something new. This has been on my mind a lot recently since home seems to be sort of non-existant at this point. So I decided to look into what the bible says about home.
There are quite a few references to home in the Bible. Most speaking of a house; like "then they went to their own home". But this verse sticks out to me. Acts 17:24 says "God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;" And this is right! He dwells in me, and he dwells in Heaven. So this makes me think- since God is my heavenly father, (this happens after you accept Christ as your Savior) and my name is written in the Lamb's book of Life, then I am really going to end up with my home being heaven one day- living with my Heavenly Daddy. So should I really worry about not having a specific address or house to call home? No. I should really just be looking forward to the one day when my home will always stay the same. It will be Paradise!
Jim Reeves This World Is Not My Home Lyrics-
ReplyDeleteThis world is not my home I'm just a passing through
My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore
Oh Lord you know I have no friend like you
If heaven's not my home then Lord what will I do
The angels beckon me from heaven's open door
And I can't feel at home in this world anymore.
I enjoy your blog. I often say I like to get in my rutt and stay there. However, even tho I have lived in the same house for 33 years and the same town for 41, there have been many changes. God sure does take care of us and is with us in every change. Love & Prayers, Hazel
ReplyDeleteI have the same feelings whenever I think about moving again. We'll have to downsize as we get older...too much to take care of here. And when I think about someone living on the old homestead other than a Shirley I get heartsick. I hope we can keep it in the family as time goes by. Love you, niece...take care.
ReplyDelete