Today, my baby boy is 3 months old. It's about time I start to share his birth story. I wrote this out in detail for three reasons: 1. So I can always remember even the littlest details; 2. So my family can know what all was going on between the frantic phone calls that day; 3. So I can share our experience of having a baby in Thailand.
So here is just the beginning, Part 1. I hope you enjoy! I'll try to post a new part each week.
The birth story of Luke Anderson Gaboriault
Born
July 3, 2014
Never in my wildest dreams
would I have thought that I would have a baby in Thailand. Sure, maybe I’ve become used to the idea of
living here (although some days it still doesn’t seem real) but to have a baby
here, for real, only crossed my mind a few times. When we discussed moving to Thailand, Jared
and I discussed the possibility of starting and raising a family there. At the time it seemed exciting, even though I
secretly wished we’d be able to be home with family for such an event.
When
I found out I was pregnant in November 2013, of course I was overwhelmed with
excitement. What a tremendous blessing, and I was so happy God chose me to be a mommy.
I knew from the start it was a boy, and really wasn’t surprised at our
16 and 20 week ultrasounds that confirmed that fact. I also knew from very early that he would be
born before his due date, although I was thinking only 2 weeks or so. I mentioned this several times to Jared and
my family, and most people replied with a laugh and reminded me most first
babies are late.
From
the beginning of the pregnancy, when thinking of being alone in Thailand for
the delivery, I would just cry. Of
course I’d have Jared with me, but I really dreaded the thought of not having
my family with me. Every time I would
bring it up, Jared and I would discuss the pros and cons of staying here versus
going home to have the baby, and we’d always go back to the conclusion that we
should stay in Thailand. I think this is
the way God wanted it, and he gave me little bits of peace about the situation
when I needed it.
I had
a great pregnancy overall. I had no real
morning sickness, just some nausea. I
did have to start really lessening my physical activity though, because as the
hot season came on, it is so easy to dehydrate.
It was pretty smooth sailing until about week 32, when I had to stop
teaching because the heat was too bad and the standing was making my feet swell
too much. Also making it up the 4
flights of stairs to the classroom was becoming a pretty big challenge. This is about the time I became generally
uncomfortable unless I was resting.
At my
32 week appointment the doctor said everything looked great and answered
several birth questions for me then. He really
wanted to wait to talk in detail about our questions though; he was going to
wait until my 35 week appointment so everything would be fresh in our minds.

No comments:
Post a Comment