When I arrived in the
delivery room I looked at the clock above my head and it was 9:00 a.m. There were three beds set up which were all
empty and they put me on one in the far corner.
The nurse who would deliver my baby spoke pretty good English, and came
in and began to talk me through some things.
I was having the most terrible time listening to her through each
contraction, and now I was getting that strong urge to push. They quickly got supplies ready and then told
me go whenever I was ready. They talked
me through how I should push, which apparently is a lot different than I thought. I kept getting told I was doing it wrong,
which was a bit discouraging, but I knew they knew more than I did. It bothered me a great deal that every time
the nurse would refer to my ‘bottom’, she would use a word that I consider a
curse word. I knew with English being
her second language, she had picked up this word somewhere and probably had no
idea it could be offensive.
The time I spent
pushing went by in a huge blur. There
was this fantastic lady who came to wipe me down with a cold wet rag
periodically. She was my favorite! Also the head nurse kept saying, “You’re a
strong, good mommy!” This helped to
motivate me.
 |
Luke's hair- which did appear black and curly at first, but by his second day was light and straight. |
After a few pushes I
was told they could already see his head.
They giggled saying I must have a Thai baby because he had black
hair! This made me so excited. The nurse ended up breaking my water, which
upset me at first because it hurt, but was followed with quite a bit of
relief. That moment I really began to
realize this was about to happen. I just
couldn’t believe it.
It only took a few more
pushes and his head came out, then one big push and Luke Anderson Gaboriault
entered the world at 9:54 a.m., only about 7 hours from the time I said we
needed to leave for the hospital. He was
the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.
The Bible is absolutely true when it says a mother will forget the pains
of childbirth when the child is delivered (John 16:21). All I could focus on was him. I knew by looking at him he was extremely
tiny compared to other babies I had seen, and I was worried about him being so
early. I was prepared for them to whisk
him away to the NICU, so I was totally shocked when the first thing they did
was put him on my chest. He was already
crying strong cries, and immediately began to breastfeed. He also took this time to welcome me to
motherhood by peeing on me, twice. His squirming
little body was warm and perfect. I
could not take him in fast enough, but the image of him looking at me for the
first time will be in my mind forever.
He only stayed with me
a short time, and they took him to the corner of the room to be checked and
weighed. The nurse finished up
everything with me while I focused my attention to that sweet crying boy in the
corner. A nurse announced Luke weighed
2,300 grams, or 5 pounds 1 ounce. I
never heard his length that day, but found out later he was 50 cm long, or 19 ½
inches. He got a perfect 10 for his
Apgar score, which is not really common for a premature baby. He didn’t look premature, just tiny, and he
wasn’t showing any signs of problems!
Next, they put him in
an incubator and took him up to the NICU for monitoring. They took me back out to the area where I
labored, but all the beds were now full, so they put me in a hallway. I was totally alone and I was
fine with that. I was overwhelmed with
excitement at what had just happened and in shock at what my body was just able
to do. I spent this time replaying the
events in my head, thinking about his little face, and praying prayers of
thanks. Soon though, I began to wonder
why I was still alone and I was curious if they would give me some pain
medicine now, if only Tylenol, since I think my adrenaline was beginning to
wear off. I began calling for someone,
and by the time I got to an almost yell a nurse came to me and said, “One
moment.” She went back in the big room
and then I heard the word ‘forgot’ and a conversation of someone getting in
trouble for forgetting me.
 |
| Luke holding Daddy's fingers. |
They moved me back into
the labor room, and still with no bed available, I was in the walkway between
the beds. This meant that my bed got
knocked several times by people passing by, but it also meant I could get a
nurse’s attention easily. Then Jared
showed up! I teared up as I saw him and
began to spill about how beautiful our baby boy was. He said he knew because he saw him as they
brought him out and was able to follow him into the NICU. He had spent a little while alone with Luke
before coming to see me. Jared was so
excited about his bright eyes and the way he held Jared’s fingers. We talked and spent a long time dwelling in
our excitement. Jared helped me get a
nurse’s attention so I could get that Tylenol, and then he went to see if we
could possibly get a private room in the hospital. We were sad to find out none were available,
but this ended up being okay since the NICU was right next to the postpartum
wing.
I stayed in recovery
until 2 p.m. because I was not still contracting like they wanted me to. I ended up getting two doses of Pitocin and
another shot of something else to help.
Eventually I was cleared to be moved to the regular room, and Jared was
there as I was moved. We passed by our
friends who excitedly said they had been able to see Luke as he was wheeled
by.
 |
| The postpartum room. |
The postpartum room was
a huge room with about thirty beds, most of which were full of other new mommies. It was actually a little neat to be around so
many other women going through the same thing as you. It took me a few days to even realize past my
excitement just how awful the conditions were compared to what I was used to. There was no air conditioning and we were in
very close quarters. There was no
privacy except the curtains between the beds that they only closed if you were
being examined. There were four or five
community toilets/showers that were not clean at all, and not even soap at the
sinks. I avoided the bathroom as much as
possible. It’s funny because afterward
my mom said going to church camp all those years had prepared me for these
conditions. She was right; it was very
similar, and that’s not a good thing for a hospital. But as I said, I was too excited and I didn’t
realize this until later.
Jared sat with me a
little while and then our friends, the Vickers, came in to visit. I began to cry as I told them how thankful I
was to have them there. As we were
talking a nurse came walking in holding Luke!
We were able to hold him and show him off and take our first family
picture. I asked the nurse when Luke
could come stay by my bed, like all the other mommies and babies in there. She told me he couldn’t because of being
premature he needed to be monitored.
This made me pretty sad, but she assured me she would bring him for
visits and I could go visit him when I was able. She was great about bringing him to visit
every few hours and she helped me with learning to breastfeed. I noticed they had put a feeding tube in his
mouth, and she also explained that it was normal for early babies to not know
how to eat yet, so they were going to need to teach him to eat. Besides that, she said he was healthy and
doing great. I was sad when our visit
was over, but I could see the door to his room from my bed, so this made things
a little better knowing he was so close.
 |
| Our first family picture. |
 |
| From sitting in my bed, the view to the doorway into the NICU. |
 |
| The nurse's station right next to my bed. |
 |
| View from my bed. Notice the fan to keep me cool. |
 |
| The community bathroom for all the postpartum mommies. |
No comments:
Post a Comment